Saturday, October 15, 2011

Bringing up baby...on the cheap


Since my last post, I have started school full time again, moved into a house, and had a baby. Please excuse my lackadaisical posting, I just really haven't felt up to it. Get comfy, however-this is a longer post.

Babies are not cheap. Once the drugs and adrenaline wear off, and sleep deprivation sets in, you sit there and wonder "Why did I do this a third time? My other two children were (almost)self-sufficient and sleeping through the night, and do not cost me nearly as much". The prices for diapers and formula alone are outrageous. Then you get started after a few months with incorporating baby food, and it gets even steeper. It's a good thing my new darling daughter knows just when to smile at mama to make it so worthwhile!

When I had my first child, as most of us do with our first children, I wanted what I thought was the best of everything, regardless of the cost. New clothes, new nursery furniture, name brand diapers, name brand formula, the works. I just about broke the bank. By the time the second baby rolls around, you're still buying name brand diapers and formula, but you re-use your furniture and don't decline hand-me-downs. By the time subsequent children come around, you are looking for as many ways as possible to save money.

We had not planned on having a 3rd child, so we had given away all our clothing and furniture. When I went browsing at the store to see how much this stuff was going to cost me, I couldn't believe how much more expensive things had gotten since my last child was born four years ago. $150 for a swing, are you kidding me?!?! This was just at Target and Walmart, I can't imagine what stores like babies-r-us are wanting for this stuff. Sorry baby, but you will not be getting anything new.

Furniture-I immediately started scouring garage sales and craigslist for furniture, gear, and clothing. I never jumped on the first deal I came across, and was able to score some amazing finds such as a swing and brand new car seat for $24 for both, $47 for a crib, changing table, and high chair, which after purchasing I immediately turned around and sold the changing table for $30, knowing I wouldn't use it. That means I actually wound up with a very nice all-wood crib and chair for $17. In total, for a crib, bassinet, swing, stroller, bouncy seat, high chair, and car seat I spent $81. Everything is or looks practically brand new.

Clothing-I found a great garage sale where the lady had twin baby girls and snatched up one of everything she had, and scored a huge deal when I got 3 garbage bags full of clothes for $30. I was expecting to toss at least 1 bags' worth out based on where they came from, but to my delightful surprise, the bags were full of perfectly nice, non-stained clothes from Carters, baby gap, old navy and more. I only had to buy a few newborn outfits because my daughter was much smaller than anticipated, so when she was born she did not fit into 0-3 months clothing yet. I spent roughly $50 on clothing, and she is now set until she turns 1 year old.

My biggest concern came to formula. I am not able (due to medical reasons) to breastfeed my children, so we have to use formula. A 24.5 ounce can of Enfamil or Similac brand formula costs $25.99. Each can will make almost 44 bottles. My daughter eats about six-4 oz. bottles a day. This means I would go through one of these cans a week. That's just over $100 a month on formula alone. I've always thought that using a generic brand formula meant that I'd be a horrible mother by giving her something that is an off-brand. That's until I researched generic formula and found that the same companies that make the name brand of formula also make the generic brands. It is the exact same thing sold under different labels.

I also spoke to baby's doctor about this, and she told me she was proud of the fact that she used a generic brand of diapers and formula, knowing it was saving her money. She told me that people are just paying for that magical name brand; but when it comes down to it, it's exactly the same stuff and she had no problems with me feeding it to my daughter. I have since been using the Target brand of formula which costs me $19.99 for 36.1 ounces. The only thing I will say though is that, under NO circumstance, should you purchase your formula if it says it was made in a foreign country. Remember a few years ago when there was an outbreak of babies dying in China because of tainted formula? It's not regulated like it is in the U.S.A.

Diapers-again with the generic brands. Most generic brands of diapers today are just as good as your huggies and pampers. While this is one area I personally will not skimp on, the fact that I use the generic brands of most everything else means that I can allow myself to splurge on the one thing I know works best for my kids. Using coupons and my target debit card always helps me to save $3-$5 a pack anyways, so the costs almost equal out. No one is going to be looking at your baby's butt, so why should it matter if it's wrapped in a generic or name-brand diaper?

Baby food-Jars of baby food are very pricey for the amount you get. It's also processed and full of preservatives, not to mention cooked down so much that most nutrients are lost in the canning process. I started making my own baby food with my second child but he was so picky he would not eat it; forcing me to buy the food in jars. This baby will not get a choice; it's my way or the highway (OK, not really, but you know what I mean). Making baby food literally takes just minutes out of your day and is SO much better for baby, so long as you know where it comes from. You can even make your own rice cereal. It takes no time at all to flash steam some fruits and veggies, then puree them with a little water, breast milk, or formula. Freeze them into ice cube trays and then bag them up and throw them in the freezer. When it's time to use them, simply pull out a couple of cubes (each cube is approximately one ounce), and stick it in the microwave for a few seconds until thawed. If you have fruits and veggies from your garden in the freezer, this is perfect. You can also buy them from the organic section or even use frozen ones. See the links below for great directions on how to make your own baby food for pennies on the dollar.

Hint for the day: Your baby is NOT going to care if their diapers are designer or generic, if your formula has a cute baby stork on the front, or if their clothes are not name brand. So long as he/she has a full tummy, a clean bottom, warm clothes, and mama's love they are perfectly content.

Check this out!: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyfirstfoods.htm This site has great recipes and tips for making your own baby food for baby starting with first foods to combo foods, finger foods, and toddler foods.

*SPECIAL NOTE*: The holidays are quickly approaching. I've all ready seen stores putting up their Christmas items for the past few weeks. It comes earlier every year. Stay tuned for some great tips on saving money during the holidays. I found some very cool websites for money-saving tips that I'm very excited to share with you! After all, there's only 69 days until Christmas! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment