Thursday, August 11, 2011

Buy used, save the difference.


One of my favorite TV shows is the "19 Kids and Counting" series starring the Duggar family. While I don't necessarily agree with some of their views, I find them absolutely down-to-earth and extremely wise in the way of family management and frugal living. While catching up on some episodes, one was titled "Buy Used, Save The Difference". It went on to show how the family does not invest in anything new-be it clothing, cars, household goods, etc. They shop at thrift stores, garage sales, used car sales, and more.

I decided to give this a try, knowing that I was going to have to be making many purchases due to having two kids in school and a new baby on the way. With the baby, I was going to have to buy everything, because we had gotten rid of everything not anticipating having another child. Instead of going out to Target or Babies r us, I went straight to craigslist. I checked every day for a good deal on something in excellent shape, and managed to get a crib, car seat with base, swing, bouncy seat, bathtub, bassinet, stroller, high chair, and changing table for less than $100. And everything was in practically new shape, with no signs of wear and tear. I decided to go to the local Salvation Army and Goodwill to buy my kids some play clothes this summer, because they're growing so fast it just doesn't make sense to buy new when they'll outgrow it after a few times wearing it. While in there one day, I came across a bread maker (see post "breaking bread to break even") for $4.99; again, in great shape. This will now save me time on making batches of bread dough. As we were walking out, I noticed a crib mattress sitting in the front door area. This was one purchase I had yet to make, and was dreading because they are expensive. I went to take a look at it, and saw that not only was it in perfectly new condition with no stains, tears, or signs of bedbugs (it also had a vinyl shell), but it was a Sealy brand mattress and a higher end one to boot. A $150 mattress for $9.99. I immediately went in and bought it.

These are just a few of the savings I made this summer by buying used. I realize that there is still somewhat of a stigma attached to purchasing/owning second-hand items. I live in a town that seems to think that money grows on trees, and that people can go and spend frivolously. This just simply isn't my case. I can't afford name-brand clothes, extra pairs of shoes to keep at school, new furniture or to buy my groceries at whole foods. Nor would I want to pay all that extra money just to keep face. You can save a ton of money by buying used and saving the difference and putting that money towards something more important like an emergency fund, college accounts for the kids, retirement, etc. Do NOT feel bad about buying used, I sure don't. The nice thing is, that most people are so wasteful, they rid themselves of perfectly good clothing and items just to buy new stuff. This works out well for me, because I get the still-nice stuff at about 75% less than the previous owner paid!

Hint for the day: Check out your local thrift stores. More often than not nowadays, they aren't accepting junk and old stuff any more, but stuff that looks practically new. This stuff still gets sold at crazy-low pricing, and you score!

Check this out!: http://www.duggarfamily.com/ For some great tips on saving around the home, family management and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment