Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Speaking of bad habits and keeping up with making better habits...


I'm so freaking horrible about keeping a blog. I always start one and say "ok, this is the one. This is the one that I'm going actually keep up with." Aaaand as always, I never follow through with it. I've been off for a while, enjoying the few weeks between semesters and taking a quick weekend trip up to Chicago.

Clothes. Any one can make something basic if they put a conscious effort into it. Especially nowadays. One of my favorite articles of clothing is something with a smocked top. I'm no skinny b***h (I have nothing against skinny people, this was a reference to the "Skinny Bitch" series), and being pregnant on top of being not-so-thin makes it damn near impossible to find clothes that aren't either parachute moo-moos or trashy-cheap-looking mickey mouse t-shirts. I am big, but give me some credit, I do at least like to dress nice for crying out loud.

I had recently used my friend's sewing machine to make a baby wrap for Catherine when she's born. Instead of spending $50-60 for one, I went and bought the fabric and made it myself for $5. I got to thinking about how incredibly easy that was, and wondered if I could possibly make my own tops and dresses for summer. I was going to just keep using my friend's machine, but when I got to the fabric store, they were having a huge blowout sale. I got a steal on a great little machine for $89.99, and fabric for 40% off. I consider the machine as an investment, not as an extra, being as it is being utilized to create necessary items.

Back to the smocked fabric-Smocked fabric comes from the craft store all ready cinched at the top, and most of the time also all ready has a bottom hem. All you need to do is measure yourself, cut, and sew a side hem. This will make you an instant tube top or tube dress. Make a couple of straps or flutter sleeves if you wish. Out of 1.5 yards of fabric, I was able to make one top or dress for me, and one top AND one dress for my 5-year-old daughter. This means I spent $5 per garment, which would normally cost anywhere from $20-25 each in the stores. I was told the fabric will be on sale all summer, and they get new patterns in all the time. I even used the left over material to make doll clothes for my daughter-more money saved.

Let me throw out there that I am no sewing expert. I can't make fancy things. However, I know how to thread a machine, plug it in, and push the pedal. If you can do that, then you can easily make your own simple garments. You can also make alterations and repairs at home to save even more. My recommendation for today is to go out and buy a machine, be it new or used. get familiar with it. start with scraps of fabric until you are comfortable using the machine. Then go crazy. I just made myself an entire summer maternity wardrobe for the same price of one top from Motherhood maternity.

Hint for the day: Don't be afraid at the thought of using a sewing machine. My southern grandmother was an expert at the sewing machine, and I thought I could never be that good. It takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it you can make some really great stuff, saving lots of money on things such as home furnishings, blankets, clothing, alterations and repairs, etc.

Check this out!: A great investment for beginners: "Sewing for Dummies". A book that you can usually find for $15 or less at most bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment