Thursday, May 26, 2011

Shutting down the satellite (Cue the horror music!)



Taking a look at our monthly expenses, I decided we needed to figure out a way to cut back somehow on our bills. Our satellite, cell phone, gym, and car insurance expenses were out of control. Those four bills alone totalled almost 15% of our monthly income. We had to find a way to cut back or we just weren't going to make it, because somehow, we also need to find the money for gas and to eat.

I started with the DirectTV. This bill was costing us over $100 per month. Was this something that was truly necessary in our household? I've been feeling for a long time that my family has been watching too much TV. As ashamed as I am to admit it, I will say that I turned to it as a sitter sometimes when I needed my kids to sit still in one spot for a minute so I could clean or take a sanity break. During the winter we used it a lot because there just isn't much to do in the winter. This was a really tough call for me. A lot of the shows I like to watch are harder to find on the net. We looked at the pros and cons, and decided that the best thing to do would be to shut it off.

It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Through the glorious Internet, I was able to find such websites such as HULU, Clicker, and also the channel websites where I can find my shows for free. I may not be able to watch them right away when they're aired, but I can still catch them, and it doesn't cost me any extra. Something you can also do is sign up for Netflix. $7.99 a month for unlimited streaming on your devices or PC. They always add new TV shows, movies, etc. I've noticed now that the TV is not on during the day, my kids are getting better at being creative and finding things to do. Now that the weather is nicer, we can get out and do more as well. So far it's been a positive experience.

Cell phones: This is tough because we switched last year to the smart phones. because my husband is a systems administrator, and his phone is also considered a pager and he does do some work from his phone, we had to take the unlimited data plan. However, looking back through our plan, I did notice some extras that had been added on at some point that were not necessary, and took them off. These were things like visual voicemail, vcast music, various insurance plans, etc. Also, because they do so much work from their phones, my husband was able to talk his company into paying part of our cell phone bill every month. Now every month they pay $20 towards our cell bill.

Gym memberships: How many of you have a gym membership and don't use it? The answer? A good majority of us. We sign up for that membership telling ourselves that we are going to actually follow through this time, and go 3-4 nights a week. Oh, we do that...for a little while. Pretty soon we get busy and tell ourselves that "oh, I'll go this weekend". Before you realize it, it's been months since you last went, yet you're spending anywhere from $50-100 a month for something you don't even use. While we had a good rate for a family membership, we quit using it after a while. This was $58 per month going out the door, so we decided to shut it down. We made a promise to become more active outdoors with our children, and so far so good. My hubby goes for walks and bike rides, the kids and I go to the park and walk around the lake, we walk the zoo, hike the nature trails. etc. It's a win-win situation.

Car insurance: Have you had any speeding tickets or moving violations in the past several years? Been in any accidents? Are you a student getting good grades, or a Soldier or Veteran that is serving or has honorably served? If so, you may be entitled to a discount through your car insurance company. I know lately that one company has a monitor you can install into your car to monitor your safe driving habits. Some companies offer multiple policy discounts. Others offer Military discounts. Vanishing deductibles. Accident forgiveness. You see where I'm going with this. Call your insurance company and find out whether you qualify for any discounts. Also, shop around to make sure you're getting the best rates. You'll be surprised that by checking these out every once in a while you may find the same thing, only cheaper.

Hint for the day: Make a list of the bills you pay each month, and then look at your actual bill. Check them periodically to see if you're paying too much, or paying for extras you don't need, etc. Make a list of pros and cons to see if these are things that you absolutely need, or can possibly live without. After looking at these four bills mentioned above, cutting off and cutting back and checking for discounts, we are saving $230 a month.

Check this out!: http://billeater.com/ A great website that shows many different ways to save on household and utility bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment