Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Inaugural post

When I went to the gas station last week, I about had a heart attack when I saw that, for 19 gallons of gas, I just put $70 into my vehicle. I was stunned...and immediately started wondering how I was going to be able to afford to keep driving. And on top of that, because unfortunately driving is a necessary evil in our family, how was I going to be able to afford to pay for gas and put food on the table?

I casually mentioned how unbelievable it was, and how over the past few days I had sat down to take a look at our household expenses to see where we could cut out unnecessary spending. I was surprised to see how many responses I received on this subject; people saying the same thing.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you'll know that our economy is in the pots. Most of the country is having to make the same sacrifices due to greedy spending and squabbling fat cats on Capitol Hill. They're more interested in pushing their interests and lining their pockets than seeing how our country is suffering, and doing anything about it.

I chose the name of this blog, "Let them eat cake", because it seems to personify the state that this country is in. It is said (though not proven) that Queen Marie Antoinette said this in response to being told that peasants were rioting because they had no bread and were starving. Its overtones feel very appropriate for the time being.

So this being said, I have started this blog as a way to share how I am trimming my household budget, how to live more frugally, and to provide tips, hints, recipes, and suggestions as to how you can do the same. I look forward to doing this, and hopefully by doing so, helping others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment